WELCOME TO THE TEAM!
This page is your all-in-one place for getting ready for your time serving at Camp Sonshine! Are you ready to create camp experiences for all to BELONG & BECOME? Are you ready for a summer that will change your life forever?!
SUBMIT YOUR SUPPORT TEAM MEMBERS
Step 1: Ask you friends, family, and faith leaders, “Would you consider being on my support team?”
Step 2: Gather you support team members names & email addresses in one place!
Step 3: When they are all gathered, submit those names & addresses all at once in the form below!
Have you asked yourself any of the following questions? “What in the world am I supossed to bring to camp?” “How do I get to camp?” “What should I do to prepare for this summer?” Worry not! We’ve created some resources to help you know everything you need to know before coming to serve at Camp Sonshine!
This is a great way for our leadership team to get to know you before you arrive!
Each staff member is required to attend a pre-summer orientation. In person or online, this time is designed for you to meet the directors, get pertinent information about summer, and get to know other staff members. Staff currently in high school must attend with a parent.
Important Summer Dates
Mark your calendar (whether that’s online or on paper), these dates are VERY IMPORTANT to remember for this summer!
Arrival Dates (for out of town staff) – Saturday, May 27 – Sunday, May 28
- Sunday, May 28 at 5 PM at Solaris
- 2349 State Hwy Spur 34b, Firth, NE
- Please bring what you need for a two night stay at Solaris!
Training Week – Monday, May 29 – Saturday, June 3
- You’ll need closed toed shoes, comfy clothes, a water bottle, a backpack, notebook, pen & Bible each day for training!
Tentative Staff Training Schedule
- Sunday | 5 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (staying overnight at Solaris)
- Monday | 9 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. (staying overnight at Solaris)
- Tuesday | 8 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday | 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Thursday | 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Friday | 7 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday | 9 a.m. – Noon
- Session 1, June 5 – 10
- Session 2, June 12 – 17
- Session 3, June 19 – 24
- Session 4, June 26 – July 1
- Session 5, July 5 – 8
- Session 6, July 10 – 14
- Session 7, July 18 – 22
- Session 8, July 24 – 29
- Session 9, July 31 – Aug 5
- Session 10, Aug 7 – 14
- *Day Camp = Monday – Saturday Morning
- *Overnight Camp = Sunday – Friday OR Monday – Thursday
- *Staff Socials Every Saturday Evening
End of Summer Staff Celebration – Saturday, August 12
Departure Date – Sunday, August 13
Camp Sonshine Core Values
We’d love to spend some time before summer with you meditating on Camp Sonshine’s core values and what scripture has to say about some of the ideas presented below. We’d love to hear from you as you read and ponder these things!
Buying into and living out the core values of Camp Sonshine is not something that we hope our staff members will just accidently fall into. While certain values may manifest themselves more naturally in different people at different times, we recognize that adhering to these values and allowing them to formulate a grid by which to filter all actions and decisions is a choice that each person has to make on a daily basis. Therefore, at Camp Sonshine, we choose to: Belong, Become, Believe, & Go Beyond!
CORE VALUE - BELONG
We strive to create and maintain a community where the love of God is experienced by all.
Although our programs are designed for the children and teens who attend camp, our desire is to minister to the entire family as well as to the various individuals who comprise the greater camp community. Each person has value because they are created and loved by God and as such will always find a place where they are accepted and belong. Everything we do is designed to create or maintain a community where the love of God is experienced by all.
- Romans 15:5-7 – May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.
- Matthew 18:20 – For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.
- Romans 12:4-5 – For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another
CORE VALUE - BECOME
We work to see each camper and staff member grow more into who God created them to be.
We want to see each camper and staff member become more of who God created them to be and to promote positive growth in all arenas of life: physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual. In order for those who are connected with camp to leave more in line with God’s plan for their life than when they arrived, it is imperative for all to live with a heart of teachability and openness to the lessons and challenges presented to us.
- Hebrews 10:24-25 – And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
- Proverbs 27:17 – Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
- Colossians 1:9-10 – And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
- Galatians – 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
- Other passages: 2 Timothy 3:16-17 , Psalm 1:1-3, Philippians 1:6
CORE VALUE - BELIEVE
We infuse a positive and uplifting perspective into every relationship, circumstance and situation we experience.
God is always up to something good regardless of the circumstances we face. We believe the best about others and what God is up to all around us. This belief provides the foundation for the positivity that permeates our community through our attitudes and actions.
- John 16:33 – I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
- Romans 15:13May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
- Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Philippians 2:3-4: “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others”
CORE VALUE - go BEYOND
We initiate exceptional customer service and will not settle for the minimum standard or effort.
We seek to offer unbelievably amazing customer service. We believe that through exceeding expectations our ministry to staff and families will be enhanced. We do not settle for the minimum standard but with hearts of selflessness and servant leadership pursue the flourishing of our community and the benefits of its members regardless of the cost.
- 1 Peter 4:10 – Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
- Ephesians 6:7-8 – Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.
- Mark 10:45 – For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
- Ephesians 3:20 – 21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Pre-Summer Journal Prompts
- In what ways do you want to live out the love of God this summer?
- Is there one of Camp Sonshine’s core values that you are excited to live out this summer?
- Is there one of Camp Sonshine’s core values that might be more challenging for you? How can your team support you in this?
- What are some fears you might have coming into a summer at camp? There is power in naming those fears! Pray for God to meet you in those fears.
- What were some of the milestones of you coming to trust and believe in the gospel? How can you share your journey of faith with your campers?
Follow Camp Sonshine on Social Media!