Camp SonshineDay Camp
Camp Sonshine Day Camp Offers…
Full-day of activities and adventures with the ability to head home at the end of the day.
Group setting designed to grow friendships with friends, new AND old!
Campers may choose to stay for special Friday night experience.
Two day camp locations - both minutes from Lincoln!
Camp Sonshine Day Camp Programs
Select the grade your camper will be entering in the fall to see specific program details:
Explorer Camp: Kindergarten – 2nd Grade
- Location: Camp Sonshine, 13440 S. 25th St., Roca, NE 68430
- Activities: go-karts*, archery, the pool, moonbounce, arts and crafts, inflatable water games, outdoor cooking, pedal carts and nature activities.
- Theme Day Thursday: Theme Day is where we take imagination to the next level! Theme Days are always a memorable favorite for Explorer campers as they are designed to be full of specialized, unique activities created especially for campers to use their imagination!
We cut no corners in giving your child the extra special care and attention that they deserve. We provide an active and structured schedule for these young campers that maximizes fun while ensuring their safety.
*Explorer campers will ride in a go-kart driven by his or her counselor.
Adventure Camp: 3rd – 4th Grade
- Location:Camp Sonshine, 13440 S. 25th St., Roca, NE 68430
- Activities: Adventure activities include go-karts, archery, moonbounce, the pool, arts and crafts, teambuilding activities, inflatable water games, petting zoo, sports and water games, outdoor cooking and nature activities, and more! In Adventure Camp, campers get to drive the go-kart with their counselor in the passenger seat!
- Theme Day Thursday: Theme Day is where we take imagination to the next level! Theme Days are always a memorable favorite for Adventure campers as they are designed to be full of specialized, unique activities created especially for campers to use their imagination!
Adventure Camp offers a safe and active outdoor experience to build friendships, develop skills, grow in confidence, and create great summer memories! We plan each session to include as many exciting activities as possible.
High Adventure: 5th – 6th Grade
- Location: Camp Sonshine – Shiloh, 2260 W Wittstruck Rd., Roca, NE 68430
- Activities: In addition to the regular line-up of the most popular camp activities, High Adventure campers also participate in off-road go-karts, paintball, axe throwing, Archey Tag, slingshots, kayaking, electives and much more!
- Electives: Campers will also get to choose a specialized elective activity to participate in during the scheduled elective period. See more about Electives Below! Elective choices in the past have included X-Treme Art & Pottery, Sports Spectucular, Culinary Creations, Wet n Wild, and much more!
- Field Trips: High Adventure’s home base is at Shiloh, and campers will take trips to Sonshine & Solaris for a variety of activities! Check out our parent resources page for sample schedule (coming soon)!
- Drop Off/Pick Up: High Adventure campers can be dropped off directly at Shiloh or at Sonshine if signed up for Extended Camp or dropping off siblings.
- Option for Overnighter of Friday Night: Pick up on Saturday morning at Shiloh at 9 a.m.! More details below!
Leader In Training (LIT): 7th-9th Grade
Location: Camp Sonshine, 13440 S. 25th St., Roca, NE 68430
LIT Training Date: Saturday June 4th, 10:00- 12:00
Ages: LIT stands for “Leader In Training” and this program is open to all students who will be entering 7th-9th grade in the fall.
Why LIT? Teens need to know that they are capable of making a positive difference in their world and Camp Sonshine offers this great program for teens to not only learn valuable lessons on leadership, but to put those lessons into practice in a safe, fun environment. Many teens have used this type of leadership experience to put on applications to such organizations as the National Honor Society and various college & scholarship applications.
What You Can Expect: LITs get the opportunity to be a part of the camp program they love while learning and developing leadership skills as they are given hand-on experience in helping counselors with their group of campers and leading activities. LITs also have the opportunity to sign up for the LIT Overnighter Experience!
A great day to get an understanding of the LIT program, meet other LITs and summer counselors and get your LIT T-Shirt! Parents, if your camper is not able to make it to LIT training, they will be briefed on important information on the Monday of their first session in the summer.
LIT Program Highlights (included in tuition)
- Extended Camp Hours at No Charge (as needed)
- Practical Leadership Skills Training
- One-on-One Mentoring with Trusted Adult Role Models
- Volunteer Service Hours
- LIT Friday Night Late Stay Experience at Solaris or Shiloh!
LIT Application Process
1. Register – Teens can be registered for the LIT program by a parent utilizing our regular Online Registration process.
2. Supplemental Application (See Parent Resource Page) – In addition to the regular application, teens are asked to complete an LIT Supplemental Application. The application process is designed to help teens think about their current views and beliefs concerning leadership, what their goals will be in regards to being an LIT, develop realistic expectations for the program, and to gain valuable skills and experiences that will be beneficial to them in completing future job applications.
First Year LITs need to download and complete Interest Questions, 2 References Forms, and LIT Conduct Agreement Form.
Returning LITs need to download and complete LIT Conduct Agreement Form ONLY!
Day Camp Details
The following is some basic information about our Day Camps.
Classic Camp Activities – Get ready to sample a smorgasbord of activities: archery, go karts, swimming, snack shack, gaga ball – try it all!
Outdoor Adventure – Get outdoors and enjoy God’s creation while building forts, going on a nature hike/treasure hunt, campfire cooking and much more!
Theme Day – Adventure Theme Day is Wednesday & Explorer Theme Day is Thursday! Campers are welcome to and encouraged to dress accordingly, but not required to. Check out the Theme Day Themes for your session below in the FAQs!
Age & Gender – Campers are grouped with other campers of a similar age and same gender. Younger Explorer groups may be mixed gender when needed based upon enrollment.
Friend Requests – You may request up to 2 friends to be placed within the same group and your friends must request you as well. We will do our best to honor these requests but cannot make any guarantees.
Waldo Photos – 2 Great Options To Get Your Camper’s Photos!
FREE GALLERY via Web Browser
Wait until the end of your session and we’ll send you a link to our online Waldo Gallery! You can find your campers photos among all the photos we take during the week.
$10 FOR FACIAL RECOGNITION
- Sign up for Waldo Facial Recognition Service on your Camp Sonshine online portal by Monday morning at 10 a.m.
- Monday or Tuesday you will receive a text message from Waldo Photos with instructions to upload a new photo of your camper and set up your account to get your camper’s photos sent to you throughout the week!
This option is convenient for both working parents and those just needing some extra time. It’s also the perfect solution for those campers who just can’t get enough camp.
Staff-supervised Extended Camp programs are offered both before and after the regular camp day. Extended Camp starts as early as 7:30 AM and runs as late as 6:00 PM.
Extended Camp Cost
7:30 – 8:45 AM, $20/week or $5/day
4:45 – 6:00 PM, $20/week or $5/day
**All Extended Camp programs take place at Sonshine (25th Street Location). High Adventure/Shiloh campers who would like to utilize Extended Camp, please drop off / pick up at Sonshine.
Specific Summer Information
Once registered, you will receive information via email. Our parent guide will be sent out in early May. In the week before your session, reminder emails will be sent to you. You can check out our Parent Resource page for other helpful materials.
Please send a sack lunch with your child to camp each day. Lunch will not be provided and is not included in the cost of tuition. Please send a nonperishable lunch as refrigerators are not available for camper use.
Camp Locations / Hours
- Address: 13440 S. 25th Street, Roca, NE 68430
- Programs: Explorer (K – 2), Adventure (3 – 4), LIT (7 – 9)
Camp Sonshine – Shiloh
- Address: 2260 Wittstruck Rd, Roca, NE 68430
- Programs: High Adventure (5 – 6)
Staggered Drop Off & Pick Up Between The Two Day Camp Locations
Drop Off/Pick Up at Sonshine – 9:00-9:20 and 4:20-4:40
Drop Off/Pick Up at Shiloh – 9:20-9:40 and 4:00-4:20
We’re excited to offer bus transportation services for families who need it. The fun starts the minute campers step on the bus with camp songs, games and other planned activities. Our specially-trained bus counselors will supervise and make the ride fun & comfortable for campers!
Bus Transportation Cost
$25 per camper AM
$20 per camper PM
Drop Off/Pick Up Times & Locations
First Free Church (84th & Van Dorn)
8:00 – 8:10 AM / 5:30 – 5:40 PM
Christ Lincoln (70th & Yankee Hill)
8:25 – 8:35 AM / 5:05 – 5:15 PM
Parkview Christian (180 & First St.)
8:00 – 8:10 AM / 5:30 – 5:40 PM
Christ Place (14th & Van Dorn)
8:25 – 8:35 AM / 5:05 – 5:15 PM
*To save your seat on the bus, you must sign up by the FRIDAY before your session begins!
*No Bus Routes on Friday PM. We encourage all campers to stay for the Friday evening program!
Late Stay & Overnighter
For the $25 registration fee, we provide dinner and an evening full of activities on Friday! Campers participate in a wide variety of special activities planned specifically for the Late Stay/Overnighter. Large group games, roasting marshmallows, cooking dinner over a campfire, and a special bonfire time, will create unforgettable summer camp memories!
Late Stay (K-4th Grade, 7th – 9th Grade) – Campers have the opportunity to sign up for the Late Stay on Friday night. Pick up at Sonshine on Friday night at 9 p.m. complete with end of session celebration!
Overnighter (5th – 6th Grade) – This year, High Adventure campers have the opportunity to stay for an overnight campout on Friday night! Pick up on Saturday morning at 9 a.m. at Shiloh! Friday night 10:00 pick up available upon request. End of session celebration on Saturday morning!
A Word on Overnighters in the Future! – There is something truly special about having extra time to continue building friendships and making memories with your group then spending a night sleeping out under the stars. We are currently in the process of building a gym at Camp Sonshine that will allow for indoor sleeping in inclement weather. When it’s completed, our desire to offer more overnighter programs for all our day campers.
Here are some brief answers for some of the most commonly asked questions about camp. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact the office.
Q: What are the day camp hours?
A: We have a staggered Drop Off & Pick Up between the two day camp locations.
Sonshine Location Hours – 9:00 – 4:20
Shiloh Location Hours – 9:20 – 4:00
Campers enrolled in our Extended Camp program can come to Sonshine Location as early as 7:30 AM and/or stay as late as 6:00 PM.
Q: When will I receive detailed information about camp?
A: Check out our Camper Parent Guide Here! Also, the weekend before every session, you will receive information in the mail about your child’s session of camp AND a call from your child’s counselor.
Q: What are this year's Theme Day themes?
A: Theme Day for Adventure program is on Wednesday. Theme Day for Explorer program is on Thursday. Theme Day is where we take imagination to the next level! Theme Days are always a memorable favorite campers as they are designed to be full of specialized, unique activities created especially for campers to use their imagination!
Q: What if I want to carpool?
A: We HIGHLY ENCOURAGE carpooling if you can. Less cars, means sharing resources with fellow camp parents and safer traffic for all!
Don’t know who to carpool with? If you would like to be placed on a carpool list, please contact the office. Please know that the interested families will make all the arrangement and that Camp Sonshine can not be responsible for arranging individual carpools.
Q: What do I send with my camper each day?
Q: What do I send with my camper for the Overnighter?
A: You just need the basics! A sleeping bag, pillow, and an extra set of clothes for the morning! Bonus items would be jammies, a toothbrush, toothpaste. Pro tip: put it all in one bag for easy moving!
Q: Do you have programs for my special needs child?
Want a tour of Camp Sonshine?
Our Open House on May 7, 2021 will be the perfect time to meet camp directors and staff and get a tour of campgrounds! Can’t make it to the Open House? Call the office or fill out the form to schedule a tour!